LOHO 10002

Jump to: Home | Events Calendar | Archive | Local News | Images | Web Alerts | Entertainment | Links | Discussion | Contact
Produced by a bunch of smart, opinionated, dishy, nosy, funny New Yorkers
who love to run around Lower Manhattan eating, going to movies and plays, listening to music, taking pictures, and sharing all the dish




No Harm Done

by Yori Yanover

Back in July, towards the end of the month, I came out of a Community Board 3 meeting on Essex and Houston and walked home with a board member who lives in Seward Park. On the way, at the corner of Ludlow and Broome, we ran into a major commotion, which centered around a sedan that had crashed under the scaffolding on the sidewalk.

We asked around and then I got the police report at the 7th precinct, and the story was that a car speeding on Broome hit the car coming down Ludlow and caused it to leap on the sidewalk and bring down the scaffolding.

I was sure there was some kind of DUI involved, otherwise, how to you explain going so fast on Broome, heading east, that you’d knock a slow moving car, full of people, in such a vicious way?

I asked my friend to keep an eye on my bike, and started snapping pictures. In my head I was already taking bids from news agencies for the scoop, naturally. Also, there was a surreal quality to the thing, and I dig surreal.

Anyway, the police report also indicated no one was hurt, which would have been a surprise to anyone who was there. Also, there was no celebrity involved, which explains why the news agencies did not come calling. In fact, at the time I was only editing a monthly magazine and it wasn’t really our story, either.

So here it is, instead of a story, just a kind of vague memory of a dangerous moment that went by without lingering pain.

I suppose a daily webzine should note those as well, even if belatedly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home