LOHO 10002

Jump to: Home | Events Calendar | Archive | Local News | Images | Web Alerts | Entertainment | Links | Discussion | Contact
Produced by a bunch of smart, opinionated, dishy, nosy, funny New Yorkers
who love to run around Lower Manhattan eating, going to movies and plays, listening to music, taking pictures, and sharing all the dish




A Tale of Two Guitar Shops

by Nate Eckstrom

I do the music reviews here at Loho10002, but – like most reviewers – I really want to be a musician. So this weekend I stopped by two guitar shops in the neighborhood to try and find some equipment. At first I thought it was strange that the two stores, Ludlow Guitar and Rivington Guitar, were located just a block away from each other. Now I understand, one is for those masochists who like frustration and abuse, the second is for normal people who want a pleasant experience.

Here’s Rivington Guitar:

ME : Hi! I don’t know if you could help me, but I’m looking for a Marshall amp, something from the Jubilee series, they were made around 1987 I think.

DUDE (sitting in a shop crowded with many, many old amplifiers): Ummm, I don’t really know. You could try the internet.

ME: Oh. Well, maybe you have something similar. [pause] Oh. Umm, I’ll just look around then.

DUDE: ….

An older couple walks in.

OLD NICE MAN: Hi! We’re looking for a guitar for our grandson. Do you have any recommendations?

DUDE: Well, it’s hard to say, we have guitars for $95 and guitars for $4,000.

OLD NICE MAN: Oh no! For the kid, just the kid!

DUDE: Ummm, that one’s good. [points to a random guitar, resumes doing nothing, doesn’t think to ask electric vs. acoustic, how old is the kid, how long has he been playing, etc.]

Okay so, the Rivington Guitar Dude was less than helpful. But his hair was really cool, and he knew it.

Now, on to the Ludlow Guitar Dude:

ME : HI! I’m looking for an amp [blah, blah]

DUDE : Oh yeah. Let me show you some of the things we’ve got. What kind of guitar do you like to play? Here let me get that for you. Okay, have a seat. Do you have a pick? Here’s one.

You get the point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home